Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Britt Went to Charleston

I realize that Charleston doesn't have quite the same rhyme power at Pitt, but that's where I disappeared to the last few days.  My aunt, uncle, and their four adorable children (all 6 and under!) live in Charleston, and I try to get down there at least once a year.  My dad and I were just down there over Spring Break, but this time we went down for a family visit/retreat to Kiawah Island along with my mom and Andrew.  It's the perfect type of trip: family, good Southern cooking, and the beach.  Here are a few highlights:

1. I got pulled over.  Yes, as in by a police officer.  Andrew and I woke up early on Friday to leave from Pittsburgh.  We made it into West Virginia and turned off of I-19 onto a more local highway that doesn't follow the standard 70 mph speed limit.  Well, I decide that I'm going to maintain my cruising speed of around 76 anyway, completely oblivious when a cop pulls up next to me and drives alongside our car for a while, "tracking" my speed.  Before I know it, there are flashing lights in the rear view mirror, and I'm freaking out, and Andrew's totally calm (which by the way is TOTALLY ANNOYING).  The officer walks up to the car, and here's how the conversation goes:

Police Officer: "Do you know why you were pulled over ma'am?"
Me: "Um." (nervously shaking uncontrollably) "Probably because I was going a little too fast"
Police Officer: "You were going 11 mph over the limit, I was riding right beside you."
Me: (Blank stare)
Police Officer: "Usually, people don't speed when I ride right beside them."
Andrew: (slight chuckle)
Police Officer: "Where are you going?"
Me: "South Carolina."

He then takes my license and Andrew's registration, and we sit and wait.  Before I know he's walking back up to the car.

Police Officer: "Are y'all going on vacation."
Me: "Yes, we're going to visit my family."
Police Officer: "Well, I don't want you to start out vacation with a ticket.  Here's your warning.  Don't speed."
Me: (incredible sign of relief)

Andrew swears that if he were driving in my place, he definitely would have received a ticket.  I guess it's lucky that I'm a girl :-)

2.  My cousins are adorable.  When we first got to my aunt and uncle's house, Emmett (who is almost five) introduced me to "HIS little brother and HIS little sister" (even though I have been to their house four times in the last two years since the twins were born).  Emmett also told me at one point that he had "never had a bagel in his whole entire life," and was ecstatic when he got to eat one at our condo on Saturday.  While we were at the beach on Sunday, Nora (one of the two year-old twins and the only girl in the family) spent a large majority of her time getting whoever would give in to walk her bucket down the ocean, fill it up, and give it back to her so that she could dump in a huge hole in the sand.  I was a sucker and made the trip at least six times.

3.  Andrew and I rocked the euchre world.

4.  My dad can cook.  We had a delicious shrimp boil (true to Charlestonian form) and brats with pierogies.  How much better can it get??

5.  When Andrew, my mom, my dad and I all sporcle together, we do a pretty darn good job.  (check this out if you're unfamiliar with the verb sporcle - www.sporcle.com)

Despite those highlights, my vacation came to a screaming halt today when I had to fly to Pittsburgh for class and work.  Andrew is still down in SC with my parents, earning his position as the new favorite O'Neill child.  My parents are staying for the full week, but I think Andrew is heading back by Thursday.

Now that I'm back in the 'burgh, look for regular daily updates again!
Britt

No comments:

Post a Comment