Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Um, Earthquake?

Here are the top three stories from my life on June 23rd, 2010:

1. Natural Disasters.  Today, a little before 2:00 PM, there was significant seismic activity near Ottawa, Canada.  The aftershock reached both Pittsburgh and Columbus.  This is the only earthquake of note that I have had the opportunity to experience, and I didn't feel anything! Seriously, nothing!  Obviously, earthquakes can be extremely serious and dangerous.  Today's earthquake, as it was felt in Pittsburgh was no such thing.  Some people said their cubicles shook, or their coffee table moved and inch or so - definitely nothing life-threatening.  I just wish I could say that I felt a quake, and this might have been my one chance.

There was also a terrible thunderstorm today.  It started while I was taking a shower which made me instantly nervous.  I have always thought that if you're in the shower when a thunderstorm is going on, there is a risk that lightning could strike your building and travel through the shower water to kill.  This could just be one of those stories that your parents tell you for no good reason (like the way my parents told me that the teeth at the top of the escalator would bite you if you didn't jump over them).  Good news: I ended my shower alive.

2. Soccer.  I spent my morning over at my lab director's house for the World Cup.  If you didn't see the game, find someone who DVR'ed it and watch it.  Seriously, it was that good.

3. I used my microwave.  OK, I know this sounds really insignificant, but it was actually a big moment.  One of the first things I thought upon seeing my kitchen for the first time was "Man, that is one old microwave!"  Ever since, I've been putting off microwaving at home for fear that it will fall apart or explode or something worse.  Today, though, I took a leap of faith, and it actually worked!  Granted, my microwave's "high" setting is like a normal microwave's "super low" setting (if such thing existed).  Even though it took a lot longer to cook my food, it tasted fabulous when it was all done.

Later after dinner, I was feeling curious about my microwave, and did some googling.  I determined that my microwave model was made in 1980!  Yes, that's right, 1980!  Thirty years ago/eight years before I was born/when Jimmy Carter was President.

Today's lesson : Kitchen appliances apparently can live as long as people.

Until tomorrow,
B

2 comments:

  1. I totally didn't feel the earthquake either.

    Also, my parents' old microwave was ancient too - They got it when they moved to New Jersey in the late 70s/early 80s, so it was probably about as old as yours is! Unfortunately, it died like, six or seven years ago :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to my life. You could totally adjust to life in SoCal. ;)

    ReplyDelete