Friday, November 12, 2010

Britt (and the PalPITTations) go to Washington!

As many of you may remember, I'm the Pitt health sciences graduate student acapella group, more commonly known as the PalPITTations!

We had the incredible opportunity to sing at the national conference for the American Association of Medical Colleges (all of the medical schools get together and talk about very medical-school-ish things) in Washington, DC.  On Saturday, we arrived at our hotel in Dupont Circle in the early afternoon.  I was a very good little medical student and finished up a paper that was due in my ethics class on informed consent in emergency situations (riveting, I know).  In the early evening, we trekked out as big group for dinner at delicious Mediterranean/Italian/Greek/Turkish restaurant.   


Half of the group at dinner 

After dinner, a number of us went out.  We ended up at the most bizarre bar in Adams Morgan (younger, somewhat hipster area of DC).  The bar was an homage to Toledo, Ohio.  And when I say homage, I mean homage.  The walls were covered in Ohio license plates, Toledo jerseys, maps of Toledo.  If that wasn't surreal enough, they were two TVs - one showing The Karate Kid and the other showing Rocky III both without sound.  People were packed around the bar watching these soundless movies, and adding their own commentary.  

A fews hours went by and we moved on a bar with music and dancing.  Again, we had somewhat peculiar encounter: one of the kids dancing next to us was fist pumping with a SHAKE WEIGHT.  Joke? Or legitimate way to build arm muscle? The world may never know...

Sunday morning, we got into the city a bit more and visited the National Gallery.  I saw a Monet painting of Venice that I had never seen before and instantly fell in love.  

The actual performance took place Sunday night.  Our audience wasn't huge, but they seemed to really enjoy our song selection.  We did "Moon River," and I could see one audience member mouthing along with the soloist.  We also did "Mercy" by Duffy, which is one of my favorites. 

Our next performance will be next week at the Pitt Med talent show.  I'm pretty nervous about that one though, because I am singing a SOLO!  Exciting and scary! :-)

Oh! Also - Andrew gets in tonight, so it will be another fun weekend!

Until next time,
Britt

No comments:

Post a Comment