Sunday, February 13, 2011

Going to the Conservatory and we're gonna get maaaaarried...

It took two weekends, three separate days of appointments, and seven reception venues, but we found it!  On June 23rd, 2012, Andrew and I will get married at Our Lady of Victory Catholic Church in Grandview/Marble Cliff and then party with our friends and family at Franklin Park Conservatory.

I thought it was a really fun process.  Andrew and my mother probably don't fully share the sentiment.  To be fair, they were both major troopers.  Mom was sick, and well, Andrew is a guy, so the appeal of actually looking a venues only got them so far.  By place number 7, I think we were all dragging our feet a bit.  Here in chronological order are the places we checked out:

1. Smith Brothers - cool vibe, but seemed a bit small
2. Columbus Athenaeum - AMAZING room, but they wouldn't let us pick our potatoes (not kidding, I really don't like anything but mashed potatoes, and they couldn't guarantee what our side dishes would be in advance.  They would just be "chef's choice."  Andrew told me about four hours later that I needed to stop talking about the potatoes.  He was definitely right.)
3. Statehouse - almost too big
4. Franklin Park - THE ONE!
5. The Vault - interesting...the guy showing us the place opened with "I know it doesn't look great now, but that's because it's fraternity/sorority formal time.  At least there's no puke in the bathroom...I think."  It didn't exactly inspire romance.
6. The Columbus Museum of Art - definitely too small.  We would have had to ditch some tables after dinner to create a dance floor.
7. Greek Orthodox Church downtown - very pretty, but just didn't seem quite right

To be honest, I think we knew we wanted Franklin Park as soon as we saw it.  Here are a few pics!  We'll have both and indoor and outdoor space.

Atrium and Zen Terrace
Sorry this didn't go up as early as promised.  Blogger hated me again for some reason :-\

Look for house updates soon!
Britt

No comments:

Post a Comment