Thursday, April 21, 2011

So as it turns out...

....it's really hard to balance attempting to buy a house, planning a wedding, and studying microbiology or neuroscience.  When a person is forced to do all of those things, writing in a blog really takes a back seat.  That being said, I have realllllly missed writing and keeping track of my daily med school life, so I'm back in a big way!  Hopefully my plans to update regularly for the rest of the school year are more easily followed.

Let me begin my return to the blogosphere by detailing the outcome of my epic search for a place to live next year.  It all starts back in January and February, when Andrew and I decided that the rent is too damn high (I couldn't resist!) in Shadyside and buying a place would make a lot of long term financial sense.  I looked at property listings on line, contacted a realtor, and started seeing things in person.  When I say that I started seeing things, I really mean that I saw SEVENTEEN places - condos, row houses, actual houses.  After scouring the city, I finally came across something that I thought would be perfect.  It was an actual stand-alone house with four bedrooms, a gorgeous remodeled kitchen, and a new back deck.  Andrew wasn't able to get to Pittsburgh in a timely manner, so we proceeded without him actually having seen it.  Along with our realtor, we drew up an offer, and it was accepted!

Shortly after we had a home inspection, things started turning south.  The selling homeowner was actually also an agent, so she was her own realtor.  That, I was totally fine with.  What I was not totally fine with were continued unprofessional, devious actions that followed.  She called our realtor to complain about the signing date that had been based on Andrew's schedule and included in a signed contract.  She misrepresented where her house was actually located (claiming that it's in the desirable Squirrel Hill area, when it's really in Greenfield) to have the house appraised more than it was actually worth.  When the appraisal came in below asking price, she refused to accept it or pay the difference.  And so, as I'm sure you can gather based on that laundry list of integrity, we walked.

Walking away from one place did hurt.  I felt like so much time had been invested in finding it and proceeding with all of the contractual details.  Determined not to let it get us too down, we decided to adjust our plan and refocus on condos in the Shadyside area.  Andrew was able to fly out for a long weekend, and we saw eight more places.  One of them was perfect.  Absolutely perfect.  Both of us were significantly more excited about it than we had been about the first place.  It really seemed like it was fateful that the first place hadn't worked out, and this place had come up in its place.  Again, we drew up and offer and had it accepted.

Sadly, things took a turn for the worst even earlier than they had the last time.  The condo building itself had recently installed central heating and air conditioning.  To pay for the addition, each tenant was assessed an additional fee of $130ish per month for 8 years.  Apparently, lenders really really didn't like that.  So much so that the condo association was deemed fiscally irresponsible, and we couldn't get a loan to pay for anything in that building.  At this point, I was beginning to think that maybe in a previously life I was a slumlord and karma wasn't going to allow me any good fortune where housing was concerned.

That was the nail in coffin of the housing search.  Rather than start the process AGAIN, I started looking for a new apartment.  Fingers crossed that I don't jinx myself, but I did actually find something great and signed a lease this Monday!  It's a row house in Shadyside with three bedrooms and two baths.  My favorite parts?  Tenants are free to HAVE DOGS!!! And free to PAINT!!!  So, even though rent the is still pretty high (though comparatively better than my current apartment!), I think it will work out really, really well.

Time to get ready for class :-)  Oh, and I'm shadowing a dermatologist this afternoon!
Britt

No comments:

Post a Comment