Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The Carnegie Museum's attempt at scarring children for life...

What feels like a long time ago now (I know, it's my fault - I've been neglecting Britt goes to Pitt), my mom came for a fun weekend of mother-daughter time.  We did lots of things, including seeing Tangled, going shopping, eating delicious sushi, and going to the Carnegie Museum.

I hadn't been to the Carnegie Museum yet, but I was excited because it's always on lists of "top things to do in Pittsburgh."  The museum itself is half art and half natural history.  We checked out both portions, and for the most part really enjoyed it.  Additionally, they had gorgeous nativity that was constructed in Italy a few hundred years ago.  Look how pretty:



Angels!


Kind of blurry, but you get the general idea.

Here are a few other highlights:


Dinos!


Ridiculously large Monet Painting.

So as you can see, for the most part the museum was great - exactly what you're looking for at that kind of thing.  However, I do believe that one particular section of the museum was invented purely to torture young children with chilling, recurring nightmares.  That section?  The dead birds. 


Here's what made the dead birds so terrible.  They were just lying there, belly-up.  There was no attempt to pose them in cool bird positions, like sitting on a tree branch or flying or pursing prey.  Just looking at them, there was NO denying they were dead.  I think, that on its own would be pretty bad.  However, it gets worse.  Just take a look:


Toucan, belly-up next to a box of fruit loops


Canary, dead a doornail, next to a Tweety stuffed-animal 


And my personal favorite, a dead whatever-kind-of-bird-Zazu-is next to a Zazu.  I'll never watch the Lion King the same way again.

Morale of the blog post?  If you're visiting the museum with a child under the age of the eleven, avoid the "Hall of Birds."  Otherwise, tears will surely ensue.

Lots of posts are coming in the next few days - look for them! :-)
Britt

1 comment:

  1. 1. I dig the dino! (Get it, dig the dino? hahahaha)
    2. The bird pictures really upset me. You should probably take them down. Especially the canary. That was just awful.
    3. See you TOMORROW!!!

    ReplyDelete